Thursday, April 7, 2011

What's up with the name


Since I can remember I recall people asking me quite often if "Dorie" is my given name.  Actually, I still get that from time to time.  Dorie is indeed my given name.  My Mother's Mom heard the name and thought it was lovely.  I really never thought it was different growing up because well, I was Dorie.  Not until I was in 3rd grade did I really give it much thought - I didn't know another Dorie.  That all changed when I discovered, Dorrie the Witch books by Patricia Coombs at our towns Public Library.  I had to have read every single book in that series.  I remember loving that I was reading about another girl who shared
my name.
The illustrations are wonderful.

At my baby shower one of my good friends surprised me with a collection of "Dorrie the Witch" books.  Her mother-n-law was a librarian and the library that she worked at was closing.  She scooped up the books and gave them to me as part of my gift.  Some serious joy over that gift!  I didn't give the books much thought again until recently Leyton brought home a worksheet he needed to fill out asking my husband and I questions about our favorite childhood books.  I brought the books down from my daughters book shelf and I've started to read them to the kids.  I cherish those itty bitty memories and it's so nice to be able to share them with my children.

I think one of these sweet illustrations deserve a spot up on my daughters bedroom wall. 

1 comment: