Thursday, January 14, 2010

*Sigh* for Haiti

I really didn't know what to name the post. My heart just aches since hearing the news of the earthquake that hit Haiti. For more reasons than just that. You see...I have a brother-n-law who is from Haiti. My older sister met Patrick at a community college right here in Mideastern Wisconsin. She and Patrick have been married for almost 17 years. They have two children and I'm a lucky aunt who has been blessed over the years to have them in my life. Patrick was born and raised in a town just south of Port-au-Prince named Jacmel. Yesterday my sister informed us that they received news that Jacmel got hit just as badly. Patrick has not been able to get in touch with any members of his family or any close friends. His whole family lives in Jacmel. He has heard nothing.

They as a family have been to Haiti at least 7+ times. So for them it's quite vivid. My sister has been tearful since the news. Patrick feels numb. The rest of us are praying and hoping that there will be news soon about his family.

Starting today I will be donating 25% of my Etsy sales to an organization called: Save the Children. Save the Children is preparing to provide immediate lifesaving assistance, such as food, water, shelter and child-friendly spaces for the families effected by the earthquake.

I know it's small in comparison but, I want to help out anyway even how small it may be. I know my sisters family is quite greatful. Even if you do not purchase anything in my Etsy store I encourage you to donate to any legitimate organization to help the country of Haiti.

UPDATE: My brother-n-law has gotten in contact with a close nephew. He and his family are safe. Patricks mother passed away a few years ago but, he is happy to report that his Dad is alive but, does have a broken leg. The problem now is getting the proper medical treatment for him since there really isn't any active medical facilities available. Our family is doing what they can to wire money to them to help but, that is an issue in itself.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear your brother-in-law's family is safe. It is heart wrenching to see what is going on there. :-(

    ReplyDelete